Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Molibi

From the details in this reading, I would think that the narrator was a teacher. Now in my opinion this teacher is very fond of their student. I like the choice of language he or she chose to describe Molibi, "I want to describe her in flowing sentences, to pad her with adjectives, to protect her against an inevitable life of maize-stamping and child juggling.". This is different to me, so it stood out to me because it made me think of the fact that when you use words. The order in which you arrange them have different meanings and you can make add-on's when you want to "beef" up the story. That kinda helped me understand why they chose to say this about Molibi because they wanted to help her.

"Only her eyes and lips are soft, abundant, wet." they feel everything else about her is hard or rough which to me is like saying she was a women who had more inner beauty than out. Yet these few things stand out, though they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The question of whether Molibi is beautiful or not is up to choose to him.

Quentin says that, "Such etched beauty is lost in a tangle of bony acacia on this desert plain." These are not people who see beauty as we see it. They don't care for fancy hair and make up. They don't look for that. "They choose workhorses, sofas, and readily furrowed fields as their life's loves." This to me says that they are workers who get married and have families that work together. This is a different way of seeing what attracts people to me.

1 comment:

  1. this is really great, a thoughtful and well-articulated response... say more, remember to post a response every week!

    ReplyDelete